Saturday, October 07, 2006

Aussie Slang

Though it's research, I'm having a blastie looking up Australian slang. It's mainly for Oz and Mr. Beardy who are Australian lizards in my graphic novel, but I can't help laughing at these I found:

Ankle biter : small child
Banana bender : a person from Queensland (Oz will be from Queensland)
Budgie smugglers : men's bathing costume (doubt I'll find use for this one)
Bushman's hanky : Emitting nasal mucus by placing one index finger on the outside of the nose (thus blocking one nostril) and blowing. (I call that a "Snot Rocket")
Chuck a sickie : take the day off sick from work when you're perfectly healthy (nice!)
Dead dingo's donger, as dry as a : dry (I mean, what the?!)
Dead horse : Tomato sauce (Mike would agree)
Figjam : "F*ck I'm good; just ask me". Nickname for people who have a high opinion of themselves. (ok, not for the kid's book, but it's funny)
Flat out like a lizard drinking : flat out, busy (interesting...)
Gyno : gynaecologist (that's for dad!)
Holy dooley! : an exclamation of surprise = "Good heavens!", "My goodness!" "Good grief!" or similar (that's just too cute, Oz'll have to say that from time to time!)
Liquid laugh : vomit (hahahahaha)
Mappa Tassie : map of Tasmania - a woman's pubic area (tell that to your patients, dad!)
Rack off : push off! get lost! get out of here! also "rack off hairy legs!".
Rip snorter :
great, fantastic - "it was a rip snorter of a party"
Root (verb and noun) : synonym for f*ck in nearly all its senses: "I feel rooted"; "this washing machine is rooted"; "(s)he's a good root". A very useful word in fairly polite company. (Ok, it's inevitable that at some point the bearded dragon will go "Oh, for root's sake!")
Shark biscuit : somebody new to surfing
Spewin' : very angry
Stickybeak : nosy person
Technicolor yawn : vomit (I'm getting the feeling that Aussies drink and puke A LOT!)
Useful as an ashtray on a motorbike / tits on a bull : unhelpful or incompetent person or thing - "he, she or it is about as useful as tits on a bull" etc. etc.
White pointers : topless (female) sunbathers


Fun, eh?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Liquid laugh!...beautiful!

-lil bro