Tuesday, July 19, 2005

Fanbloodytastic Party!

The party was a hit! We've heard other stores had bigger crowds, but nobody had as many things to do and see as we did, and those things they did and saw were way cooler than everybody else's, too!

For those not present we had...
The Mirror of Erised which you could look into then write what you saw next to it...
A Patronus Charm game where you had to flip over two cards to match the patronus animal you would have (keep in mind we're in Texas...)
We had a photo booth where you could have your picture made with a standee thing the company sent, OR with one of two owls (most kids went for the owl... and it isn't real, I painted it )
We also had a Magical Creature Identification game where I had 8 of my paintings with mythological creatures and the fans had to look them up and turn in a ballot to see if they won a prize. It got dicey when I realized my Sphinx, being that she had leopard spots, meant she could have been another mythological animal and some books said shinxes only had lion's bodies. I also had to put on a feathered bra on my harpy... sigh... The winner chose the Phoenix I had done as his prize, and he has to be pretty young, his handwriting was adorable.

I had a potions touch and feel where you put your hand in a box and get all grossed out... there was eye of newt (corn hominy), flubberworms (lasagna noodles), gillyweed (rubber bands), and dragon hide (sandpaper)... And for some reason no one threw it out after I left, I guess because they know how much I love moldy noodles and slimy hominy (now it's really scary!)

And I had a whole owl art exhibit with little step by step how to draw owls sheets so kids drew me owls and I pinned them up with my art. That was the favorite of the activities, I think, the kids drew their own owls and named them...

Then we had "Stump the Wizard" where the fans tried to outsmart the experts with trivia questions,
And at 11 we had a Wizard's Duel where we had two lines of people and they had to draw a spell from a hat, then bow and stand back to back as I counted to five and they cast their spells... I lost my voice but it was great!

And on the art biz side, I've just about sold the entire show out! Which is good cause I don't know what I'd done with 30 framed owl paintings/drawings! I'm getting offers to go to schools and talk about owls to kids, which would be a real kick.

And the best volunteers there were my Mom and Dad! They both were such a big help and I'm so glad I got to share the craziness with them. My favorite quote from the evening was hearing my mother repeatedly say "Hi there, Honey, let's get you a tattoo..." Dad also saw he and mom out on Eden Isle when he looked in the Mirror of Erised. I have such fun folks!

We ate at one of the best restaurants I can remember. It was Hudson's on the Bend, and wowsers, it was good!

All in all, I was wiped out, strung out, now I'm nearly sold out and mom's cleaned out (private joke!).

....so when's the next one coming out? :)

No comments: