Friday, July 08, 2005

Magical Creature Detail

Part of the activities for the Harry Potter Party will be to identify 8 "Magical Creatures." These 8 creatures just happen to creatures I've drawn (again, shameless self promotion to hundreds of people!). The winner will be the first one drawn that has all the correct answer, and they will win a print of their choice of one of the magical creatures (BN will pay me for the print, yippee!).

So far I've got: a sphinx, a maverick Minotaur, a harpy (with a new feather bra!), and a fairy.

So now I have to do one special LBKF dragon piece which I can use to further promote the book, a phoenix which is still poplar for Harry Potter fans, and then two more creatures that I'll pick out of the JK Rowling book The Care and Keeping of Magical Creatures. Cant' make them all too easy, and I wanted them to have to dig in and do a little research while they're waiting for midnight.

And I should have extra prints on hand that night, and will hopefully even take orders for more (wouldn't that be nice). I've sold 3 owl prints, and the figure study I had in the window that had nothing to do with the owls or the show. I've talked with a few people, too, that are planning to come to the art reception just for me, not for Harry Potter! I could view that as "Hey, I've upstaged the richest woman in England," but I don't think my ego could take it...

This show has been a real moral booster, too. I hear people talking about it, and the kids like it, too. I'm getting calls from people about the itinerary we've handed out, and they aren't asking about Harry Potter, they want to know more about the "Get your photo made with a celebrity owl" and the "Owl activities and art demonstration" stuff.

Well, off to paint me a phoenix... I have a glass of water nearby just in case...

No comments: