Sunday, November 06, 2005

Hopping to Arkansas

I hit the road tomorrow for two book signings in my home state. I'm so grateful to everyone who's helped pull all this together. I'm looking forward to seeing people I haven't seen in years. Now if only I can get over this sinus infection, I'll be set.

There are more requests and offers for visits and signings coming in. My social card will be full of engagements and thus justify the existence of my organizer!

I'm going to have to think carefully about how many christmas commissions I can realistically do this year. I can't help wanting to do them, I mean I love helping people get the perfect gift.

In other news...

I heard through an email a really amazing story. A private school in Austin was given a 3 million dollar donation by an obvious wealthy family if the school and the school library would remove Brokeback Mountain by Annie Proulx from it's optional reading list because it contained homosexual references. Rather than cave to the family's demands, the school returned the donation, saying they couldn't accept contributions with conditions attached. That amazes me. That's a lot of money for a school to return, and I applaud them. Annie Proulx won several literary awards including the Pulitzer, and I think the family only tried this because the movie is coming out this fall that's based on the book. Now I have my own views on censorship and homosexuality, as does everyone else, and I truly feel those with the most money in this country shouldn't be the ones deciding things for everyone else.

Well, I gotta pack every outfit I own since I'm not sure what I'll end up wearing...

No comments: