Wednesday, September 07, 2005

I am the Elephant Woman

Ok, so the dentist today was awful. Not so much because it physically hurt, it was just such an ordeal and lasted forever. But it gets better...

Finally it's over and they stuff cotton gauze all up in my mouth, and I still can't feel the left side of my body or have the necessary motor skills to control my face. I see a father and his two young kids in the little area next to me getting their check up. I may or may not have made eye contact with the dad, I don't know, but I pay and go down the hall to the bathroom.

So I wait for the elevator and just before the door closes I hear people, so I hit the door-stay-open button. It's the dad who I can see now is Hawaiian looking and his little boy about 7 and a 6 year old looking girl. The boy was teasing his sister about not brushing or having a cavity or something, and I thought to myself, the poor little girl... she looked embarrassed and scared and upset... So I turned a quarter way and she sees me, the only other girl in the elevator, and her eyes were all "Help me here, lady!"

I shrugged my shoulders in that "what can ya do?" way and smiled...

And that's where it all went wrong...

Because I couldn't feel it or see it, I was surprised when the little girl quickly grabbed her dad's hand and started crying, her little Asian eyes now fully circular in horror.

Her dad who'd been talking with the boy looked at me and turned green before my eyes. "Uh... you're sort of..."

I look down. There is a solid and steady line of bloody drool from my bottom lip to the carpet on elevator floor. Red as a fire engine, pretty much like a bloody string from my grotesquely smiling mouth to the floor (I reenacted the smile before the mirror later... yowsers...).

"Off, gawd...Imf soo sowwee..." *DING* doors open, I run for it... all the way to my car.

In the car I was caught between the embarrassment of what happened and the very, very macabre humor of it, too. Part of me wanted to take that to the grave, but another part of me knew it was just another unique moment God gave me to cherish and laugh at when I'm able to.

I told Mike and I was crying and laughing at the same time. He hugged me and tried not to laugh and said, "Ah, honey... How very 'Fight Club' of you..." It was the perfect thing to say.

5 comments:

Jolene said...

Well, THAT will teach the little girl to floss and brush her teeth! :) You just saved her a lifetime of dental bills.

Regan said...

Hehehe... I wish someone had scared the tuna salad outta me at her age!

Mike got tickled watching me throw back apple sauce like it was tequila because I was trying to not get it in my bandages. I'm a good mix of pitful and laughable :pitifulaghable, that's me...

Anonymous said...

Regan,
You have the gift of storytelling and a wonderful sense of humor besides just being a pretty darn good artist. All these things together make for a lifetime of success. It's your imagination along with life's experiences that will make you the next big children's book author and illustrator. YOU ARE NORMA ROCKWELL.
Love ,Dr. Daddy

Anonymous said...

Regan,
I love the artwork and idea of " The Other Tooth Fairy " . Surely there is a story there that will sell books. They also make very good potential dolls to sell. Stay on this project.
Love,
Dr Daddy

Anonymous said...

I loooooooooooooooove you both !!! Mom