Thursday, September 22, 2005

No Dallas, no Publisher, no fun...

Rita has ruled out my conference trip to Dallas.

Major innerstates are parking lots, and there's no way we'll get to the hotel in time to check in, and I'm not sure we'd be able to get back on Monday in time. It would've been exhausting and infuriating to get there and back, so I'm cutting my losses and staying here.

I'm sooooo depressed. I'd really hoped they'd reschedule it, but I guess they can't. Austin's flooded with evacuees and there are gas lines and empty shelves in the stores. I don't think Austin will even get hit, but I've evacuated one city and I don't plan to get dragged into another impossible traffic fiasco again.

So... if I never have success I can always blame Rita cause she kept me from my meeting with Henry Holt... sigh...

4 comments:

Jolene said...

Regan get on 187 north (northwest) to Lampasas. In Lampasas go 281 north to Stephenville. Then head on to Fort Worth and then get over to Dallas. There is some great scenery so take a sketch pad or camera. Also, if you see a cafe on the road just north of Lampasas that advertizes "The World's Best" stop and go in because they aren't kidding. (Years as a travelling admissions counselor - I can get to everywhere on a back road and I know every little cafe this side of Muleshoe...)

If you don't go you will have to play the "What If" game for a long, long time and it's a no win game. GO TO THE MEETING.

Jolene said...

Sorry, I meant 183 north. I don't want you wandering the Texas highways looking for 187. :)

Regan said...

Thanks Jolene for the alternate route. If we'd had all day to drive up it would've worked.

As it is we were cutting it close making it to the hotel, but with the extra miles or traffic, it just couldn't work.

I was also worried about getting back on Sunday, cause I'm thinking half of TX would be on the road trying to get home for work on Monday.

Thanks though, we'll have to make a trip up that way soon!

Jolene said...

Well, if not for the conference, you really need to find that cafe. ;) In fact, I'll drive down and meet you there. I'm not going to pass up pie with a friend!