Monday, September 12, 2005

Just some thoughts

I'm all keyed up from working late, so I'll write some here... nothing of any newsworthy, so skip this one if you're pressed for time...

Working on Kichi and gathering images for my tree of life drawing, I'm aware that I really do love animals. I guess people who say "I really love cars" must feel like I do about animals, but I can't imagine it. I can get sidetracked for hours as I go through my nature books, reading about the sociological make up of lemur colonies or the adaptability of snow monkeys... I don't know what it is, but it's just fascinating for me...

And maybe I'm a little envious of animals, too. I'm a little fed up with certain governments and all the other woes of mankind, then I read about koala bears and I think, "You know, maybe they have it all figured out." True, they're losing their habitat and don't live as long as we do, but they don't pay taxes! There are no koala traffic jams, no koala hate crimes, no koala dentist appointments...

Maybe at some point in our history, animals were given the choice to pop out those opposable thumbs and enlarge their brains and they were like, "Nah... Who needs the headache, eh?"

These are some of the things that flutter through my head as I draw and paint animals...

No comments: